Together for Decent leather is a three-year programme, carried out by a European-Asian consortium of seven civil society organisations. Our goal is to improve working conditions and to reduce labour rights abuses, focusing on leather product production hubs in South Asia, in particular in Vellore and Chennai districts in Tamil Nadu, India; greater Karachi in Pakistan; and the greater Dhaka region in Bangladesh.
Together for Decent Leather works to secure increased commitment from companies to fulfil their human rights due diligence obligations and governments to put in place safeguards and regulation to improve adherence to international labour standards.
Together for Decent Leather contributes to this by:
- Researching and exposing labour rights risks and abuses
- Strengthening the capacity of civil society and trade unions to stand up for workers’ rights
- Engaging with consumers and the media in support of our aims
- Advocacy activities to persuade the private sector to take responsibility
- Advocacy activities to encourage government actors to put regulatory frameworks in place that will protect workers’ rights.